- has overall control and responsibility for preparing and directing social housing policy in Northern Ireland;
- work closely with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and Registered Housing Associations in implementing social housing policies;
- has regulatory powers over the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and Registered Housing Associations;
- has oversight of the Private Rented Sector, which is also controlled by the Private Tenancies (Northern Ireland) Order 2006;
- appoints the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and the Rent Assessment Panels;
- is taking the lead in the Promoting Social Inclusion review of the difficulties faced by people who are homeless;
- is taking the lead in tackling fuel poverty, a major element of which is the Warm Homes Scheme - freephone 0800 988 0559.
Social Housing Development Programme - Transfer of Functions
ResourcesFor the financial year 2013 to 2014, gross resources available for Housing will be in the region of £621m, a combination of rental income, capital receipts and a contribution from Government.
Within this total the Housing Executive’s gross resources will be £506m with approximately £109m for Housing Associations, with additional Private Finance being levered in by Housing Associations and the Co-ownership Housing Association.
Find out more information about:
Learn more about: