The Role of the Rent Officer
The function of the Rent Officer is to determine an appropriate rent for a tenancy which is found to be unfit and/or which is a protected/statutory tenancy. Having considered all the circumstances of the tenancy, the Rent Officer will set a rent based on the facts provided.
As the functions of the Rent Officer are funded by the Department, the Rent Officer is required to be committed to making effective, economic and efficient use of resources, act in good faith and at all times and in the best interests of the Department.
The Rent Officer has a responsibility to:-
- become conversant with the relevant legislation and regulations which are applicable to the operation of the post of rent officer
- act as directed and required by the Department
- operate and take decisions on an impartial basis
- liaise with Departmental staff who provide administrative support
- liaise with external bodies in relation to the gathering and application of information needed to make accurate decisions