Introduction to the Social Security Agency
The Agency administers and provides guidance on a range of social security benefits and pensions to the people of Northern Ireland.
The aim of the Social Security Agency is to help people change their lives for the better.
The Social Security Agency’s main business is to:
- assess and pay social security benefits accurately and securely
- give advice and information about these benefits
- support people by helping them move closer to work
- process benefit reviews and appeals
- prevent and detect benefit fraud, prosecute offenders and recover any benefit which has been paid incorrectly
- recover benefit which has been paid in compensation cases
- assess people’s financial circumstances if they are applying for legal aid
- provide services to clients in Great Britain on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- administer, providing guidance and payment of all aspects of State Pension
The Agency delivers its services to:
- the people of Northern Ireland, with a population of some 1.8m; and
- the people living in 3 Districts within London.