The Department is responsible for the implementation of programmes reflecting targeting social need. This is done by addressing the social, economic and physical regeneration of cities, towns and villages in Northern Ireland. We also have responsibility for the establishment of urban regeneration and community development policy and strategy.
These programmes are the main ways DSD targets social need:
For more information contact:
- Reform of Local Government - DSD's social need and regeneration powers are due to be extended to councils on 1 April 2016
- URCD Framework - we have responsibility for policy objectives for urban regeneration and community development in Northern Ireland
- Laganside - we have responsibility for the development and management of Laganside and the River Lagan and Weir
- EU Programmes - we are the accountable Department for the Shared Public Spaces theme of PEACEIII
- Former New Town Lands - we have responsibility for land which had been vested to create New Town Lands